Triple Talaq cases decline by 82% in the last one year, says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
It’s been a year since the Indian Parliament passed the bill to put a ban on Triple Talaq. Last year on August 1, the practice of Triple Talaq became illegal in India. And, surprisingly, there has been an 82% decline in the triple talaq cases in India since the law came into existence. The Union Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi gave this figure through an article where he termed August 1 as “Muslim Women’s Rights Day”.
In the article named ‘Triple Talaq — Big Reform, Better Result’, Naqvi said, “Triple Talaq or Talaq-a-Biddat was neither Islamic nor legal. Despite the fact, the social evil of Triple Talaq was given “political patronage” by “Merchants of Votes”.
The Union Minority Affairs Minister also asserted that India is governed by the constitution and it gives equal power to every citizen. No Shariyat or a religious textbook should manipulate the rights of the citizens on the basis of caste, color or gender.
Further, he wrote in the article about the society-centric initiatives that the Narendra Modi government has taken in the last six years. He said, “Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s Government is committed to the empowerment of all sections and social reforms. Some political parties give illogic that why the Modi Government is worried about Talaq in Muslim women? Why the Government don’t do anything for their socio-economic-educational empowerment? I want to make it clear to those people who ask such questions that during the last about 6 years, the Modi Government has worked with inclusive empowerment for every section including Muslim women,”